Welcome to CIC Around Forums MDSI Discussion Interesting Things that are about Data Science

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Charlie Charlie 1 year, 10 months ago
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rory
    Rory
    Participant
    @12533067

Hi,

I was wondering where I should put this link about Toyota joining Microsoft to create a Big Data Science Hub for Global Operations

http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5527

So I thought this would be a good place to put this kind of stuff that we as data scientist would find interesting.

Profile photo of Rory
    Rory
    Participant
    @12533067

remove from emails

Profile photo of Charlie
    Charlie
    Participant
    @13033028

Hi everyone.

This is a topic that I’m interested in at the moment and will be one of my passions in life later on -> city analytics, planning and management for sustainablity

Has anyone here played Sim City?

In a nutshell, the game is teaching us how to zone residential, commercial, industrial and other infrastructure like bridges, schools, police, fire, hospital etc…to ultimately make the citizens happy. The higher the happiness rating, the richer our beloved citizens will be, hence more money for the mayor (us!) to build more awesome stuff like Historical monuments, airports….So what is happening in Sydney right now makes me feel like changes are happening too fast in terms of the number of migrants (both from other cities and overseas) choose to settle and work in Sydney because well, the wages are higher in Sydney compared to other places in Australia. But with more people, and slowly built infrastructure, ultimately it leads to traffic congestion and lower quality of life.

I’m not an expert on this field yet, and still learning and exploring how data science (or big data) can be incorporated in planning, managing and forecasting in the near future

Link: http://datascience.columbia.edu/smart-cities

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.