Welcome to CIC Around Forums MDSI Discussion A better balance between Python and R

Tagged: 

8 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Profile photo of David Ding David Ding 3 years, 2 months ago
  • Author
    Profile photo of David Ding
    David Ding
    Participant
    @11481912

As a beginner to both Python and R, I’d prefer to learn python because it is also a powerful programming language with applications outside of data and statistics. With my second semester into MDSI, none of the subjects so far encouraged python. So I thought I’ll create a topic to:
    1. see if there is any other students also interested in python (please indicate your interest), and
    2. hope for some guidance and incentive for using Python in future classes

Cheers,
    David

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of David Ding David Ding.
    Profile photo of Sparky
    Sparky
    Participant
    @95039982

Yes I would to know more about Python. I’m hoping for a giant slab of it somewhere in this MDSI course

Profile photo of Greg
    Greg
    Participant
    @12466633

I’m currently going through “python machine learning” by Sebastian Raschka which is pretty good at giving you the fundamentals.

I’m going to put up a review for it after I get through topic but its a great “lay of the land” type of book similar to “R for everyone” by Jared P. Lander.

My only criticism so far is that its missing a lot of the low level explanations for what the ML algos are doing which Andrew Ng’s ML course seems to be the best at so far.

Profile photo of Martin
    Martin
    Participant
    @12543738

Hey guys, i’m going through the same book too. Happy to share my python jupyter notebook for IsAlert example using Raschka Chp 6 as guidance if anyone’s interested.

David Ding
    Participant
    @11481912

Sure Martin, post it in a blog or sth, it’d be really interesting to compare with R. Perry posted an excellent article about IsAlert in R: https://15-9203.ca.uts.edu.au/dam-challenge-a-brief-guide-to-getting-0-85-auc/

I might try stick with a group of python users for future subjects.

Profile photo of Martin
    Martin
    Participant
    @12543738

What an awesome post! Yes I’ll put one up this week on python in the same key as Perry’s for all the python users out there. There’s a few of us, Duhita and Jared are also using python.
    In reference to your last statement, we could probably get a user group going…

Profile photo of Theresa
    Theresa
    Participant
    @theresa

HI guys, really excited to see this topic pop up! You are going to be seeing some Python action in this Saturday’s DAM session. Posting a notice with some prework shortly….

David Ding
    Participant
    @11481912

@theresa. Looking forward to Sat! Theresa, would it be possible to form Python/R groups in future subjects, rather than being assigned into random groups.

David Ding
    Participant
    @11481912

@12543738. I’ve invited you to Slack and there is a dev-python channel with a few other MDSI students. This could allow us to form a user group.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.